The Glory of Normal

Kids today are growing up in the generation of viral videos and getting their 15 minutes or, in the case of the popular social media app Vine, 6 seconds of fame. I see it all the time with students, that they constantly feel they have to do crazy and ridiculous things to stand out.  Even among my own generation I see all the time how people, including myself, find themselves discontented with their own lives when they see the fabulous things their friends are posting about (because no one ever posts about a quiet evening in watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix). 

I’ve come to realize, though, that following Jesus often means serving Him in the ordinary, whether that’s encouraging a coworker who’s going through a rough time or changing your baby’s 10th dirty diaper of that day.  We're not all going to be extraordinary by the world’s standards. Let's be real...many people these days who stand out in the social media/pop culture realm are not exactly known for how they’re living their lives for God’s glory.  Often it's the exact opposite. But I want to serve the Lord in terms of the everyday tasks He has set before me, using the gifts and passions He has given me to love others. If I do this well, it's not I who will be seen as extraordinary but God who is at work in my life.  Isn’t that the goal anyway?  Colossians 3:17 says, “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”  So, for anyone who’s been feeling stuck in the typical day to day tasks lately, please let me encourage you.  You never know who might be able to see Jesus in the way you handle the mundane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety