Stay the Course

On June 15, 2016, I walked out of Potomac Falls High School as a teacher for the last time.  That building had been my home away from home for the last eight years.  In reality, between September and June, I probably spent more waking hours there than in my own home.  I learned how to be a teacher there.  I learned how to teach everything from solving equations in Algebra 1, Part 1, to limits in Precalculus.  I learned how to care for students and how to listen to them about matters from boyfriend/girlfriend drama, to choosing a college, to truly horrendous situations going on at home.  I learned how to navigate the alphabet soup that is the public education system (IEPs, 504s, BIPs, and everything in between).  Thankfully, I had some amazing co-workers to guide me, support me, encourage me, and listen to me vent when I was having a bad day.  In those eight years, I had three different head principals, eight different assistant principals, and a whole lot of co-workers. 

It was definitely bittersweet leaving, but I think the restlessness and, at times, the frustration I felt over the past few years were all for a purpose.  Maybe God, in His infinite wisdom, knew that in my stubbornness I would have to feel so uncomfortable where I was so that I would say yes when He called me to do something else.  I know that this new job with FCA is something the Lord put in my path at the perfect time, but I have to admit on some days it scares me.  Teaching was comfortable and familiar and safe.  There were extremely hard days, yes, but for the most part, I could handle that job while leaning on my own understanding.  Women’s ministry?  Not so much.  My introverted self is going to need to tap into the power of the Holy Spirit on a daily basis to do this job with excellence.  But still, when God calls you to get out of the boat, what other choice do you have?  Besides, I don't want to just live a safe life.  I want the full life that Jesus promises, storms and all.  I just have to remember to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus instead of the waves ahead.  Thankfully, my Anchor holds within the veil.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety