Step by Step


Tomorrow morning I leave for my first FCA camp of the summer, Virginia Leadership Camp.  My role at this camp and our upcoming multi-sport camp at the University of Richmond is Huddle Leader Coordinator.  I love this role because it means I get to the camp early and train and equip the college athletes who will then lead the middle and high school students attending the camp.  If I’m honest, over the past couple of weeks, I’ve spent more mental energy stressing about filling these Huddle Leader roles than I have spent praying about it, forgetting that the battle is not mine, but God's (2 chronicles 20:12). What if, every time I start to feel my anxiety elevate, I pause and praise God in the midst of the battle? What kind of great blessing would I see then, both for our camp in and in my own life?  I believe the enemy knows that students’ and coaches’ lives are changed at camp and he will do whatever he can to discourage us before we even get there.  I need to remind myself daily through time in God’s Word who is actually in control over this camp and my life.
Every once in a while, usually just when I think I've made progress in the area of trusting God, He shows me how much I still have to learn in believing Him and surrendering control.  I try to control everything because I'm afraid if I don’t, everything will fall apart, rather than surrendering it to the One who holds all things together (Colossians 1:17).  And just as it does me no good to worry about filling these camp roles as long as I’m using the abilities and resources God has given me to do my part, there is also no point in stressing out about whether or not I’m following His plan for me life (even though I do stress about this more than I care to admit).  If I’m focused on following Jesus, there’s no way I’m going to miss His plan. 
This past weekend I went up to Cunningham Falls State Park in Maryland to go camping with some of my favorite families.  I just went for the day Saturday because, I have learned, there is a big difference between someone who enjoys being outside and someone who is outdoorsy.  I am the former.  Shortly after I arrived, we left for a hike to the top of the falls where two of the kids were baptized.  It was such an amazing, beautiful moment, especially knowing what both of these kids have been through over the past year, but let me tell you – it was not easy getting up to or down from that spot.  I tend to be timid by nature and any time I have to climb or slide down rocks or go across a creek by hopping from rock to rock, that timidity shines through.  A couple of days ago, I was spending time with God and reflecting on the weekend and He pointed out that just like my friends Jennifer and Anna helped me across the creek by going first and pointing out which rocks were sturdy and safe to step on, when I follow Jesus closely, He shows me which steps to take.  I don’t have to worry about taking a wrong step, because He promises that He will never let my foot slip (Psalm 121:2 – 3). 
Even though following Jesus may (will) take me to some scary places, I’d rather keep my eyes on Him and trust that He will lead me through those challenging situations than miss the hike altogether because I’m paralyzed by fear.  The joy that comes from knowing Him far outweighs the discomfort I may feel in that from time to time.  This weekend, several hundred coaches and athletes from all over Virginia will gather to be challenged to step outside of their comfort zones.  Please join me in me in praying for the safety of our campers and staff, for logistics to run smoothly and, most of all, for the Holy Spirit to work in the hearts of those who attend.

Comments

  1. Another great post - and now I realize I never did send you those pics, LOL OOPS. Do you still want them?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

The Idolatry of Safety