What's it like to work with Loudoun students?


Over the past two-ish years since I started this FCA journey, I’ve had the opportunity to meet FCA staff from all over the United States and the world.  It’s always interesting to talk to people who are doing ministry in different places.  There are times when it’s helpful because you learn that many people face similar challenges to do ministry in their places.  But there have also been times when I realize how different Loudoun County is from other parts of the US (and even other parts of Virginia!).  Virginia might be considered a southern state in the general sense, and parts of Virginia definitely fit into “Bible-belt” culture, but Loudoun County certainly does not.  Compared to other counties in the southern part of the state, Loudoun is far more diverse, affluent, and highly educated.  It is not the norm to call oneself a Christian here.  Our schools have a wide variety of cultures and religions represented, and although that can create some challenges for ministry, it’s not necessarily a bad thing. 
I was talking to a co-worker recently who is now on staff in Lancaster, PA but used to do ministry in this area.  One thing he has noticed is that compared to Loudoun, in Lancaster there are a lot more students who say they are Christians because it’s the cultural norm than actually because they believe in and follow Jesus Christ.  Because of the diversity in Loudoun, I don’t think students feel quite as much pressure to call themselves Christians.  Many have different religious beliefs or are perfectly comfortable saying they are atheist or agnostic.  There are many things about the diversity of this area that make getting into schools and doing ministry more challenging than it might be in the Bible belt or other areas of the country.  But I also believe it creates a lot of amazing opportunities as well.  At our staff meeting yesterday, a coworker from Fairfax shared that a Muslim student on the football team he’s been working with came to their optional team chapel recently and afterwards, asked for a Bible.  That’s a huge deal! 
A while ago I mentioned that in September I traveled to Dallas for IF: Lead followed by International Justice Mission’s Liberate gathering.  Both conferences were amazing.  But I also came home a bit overwhelmed with all the information I had to process.  I was struggling with doubting where God has me and, the constant lie going through my head, that I wasn’t enough…not doing enough for the Kingdom, not doing enough to fight injustice, etc.  Finally, I had to take a step back from the information overload I was dealing with and realize some truths.  I am not a trained lawyer or trauma counselor with firsthand experience in fighting human trafficking.  Therefore, going on staff with IJM may not make the most sense for my life here and now.  I have, however, grown up surrounded by the affluence and diversity in Loudoun County, understanding the pressure to fit in and excel and achieve All. The. Things.  It is right that injustice happening in our country and around the world breaks my heart, because it breaks God’s heart.  So how can I channel my desire to fight that into the gifts and experiences God has given me to serve in the place He has me?
Of course, I want every student who comes to an FCA huddle or event to understand that they are known and loved by God, that Jesus died to save them from the sin that separates them from God, and that by believing in Him they can have a relationship with the living God.  But there’s more to Kingdom living that has implications for right now, not just eternity.  If, in meeting with a group of middle schoolers each week, I can get them to understand that every human being on the planet is an image bearer of God, the Creator of the universe, the implications could be huge. A twelve year old boy who understands that every human is an image bearer of God won’t grow up to be a man who uses racial slurs, objectify women, or believe that people, no matter how poor, can be bought and sold as objects.  A fifteen year old girl who sees each of his or her classmates as an image bearer of God won’t stand by while one of them gets bullied or let one sit alone in the lunch room, much less gun them down in their place of worship.  Is this thinking too optimistic, to believe that the work I’m doing can fight injustice on such a huge level?  Maybe, but it’s what I can do right here and now.  I’m sure there are some out there who believe that there is nothing we can do to help restore the beauty and peace of God to earth here and now, but I refuse to live with that sort of hopelessness. I just can’t. 

Comments

  1. Just beautiful, been praying for you and sounds like God settled your heart a little bit. Will continue to pray that you will hear God's will and purpose for your life. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety