An Open Invitation

People ask me often if I miss teaching and if I’d ever go back.  Believe me, there are times that the structure and security of a set schedule and salary (where I don’t have to raise support) is enticing.  But I don’t want to be the kind of person who quits just because something is hard. 
I have led an incredibly blessed life.  School always came pretty easily growing up.  I wasn’t a star athlete or musician, but for the most part, I always got to be a part of the activities in which I wanted to participate.  I got accepted early to my top choice for college and, on the brink of recession, got hired to teach right out of school.  So it hasn’t been until more recently that I’ve had to really learn about perseverance. 

I’ve been struggling a lot lately with questioning where God has me – job, city, life stage.  One minute I’m ready to leave town and pursue teaching or writing (or both) in a brand new city.  A minute later, I’m scared about what my life would look like if I moved away from home and family and the life I’ve built here.  When I stop freaking out long enough to rest in God’s character – who He is and what I know to be true, I come back to the ways He has gifted me and the opportunity I have been given to help grow FCA, a ministry I love and believe in so much, in Loudoun County. 

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to travel to Dallas, Texas to attend IF: Lead, a leadership conference for women who have been a part of IF: Gathering.  From their website, “IF: Gathering exists to equip women with gospel-centered resources, events, and community so they may learn more about who God is and disciple other women right where they are.”  When we first walked into the church and walked up the stairs to where the conference was held, there was a huge banner that read, “Can you believe we get to do this?”  It was so special to spend 48 hours surrounded by women who are also on this mission to disciple others and show Jesus to people right in their communities.  I love the mission of IF: Gathering in part because of how much it aligns with the mission and vision of FCA. 


With my FCA teammate from the Philly, PA area and a local IF friend at IF:Lead 2018

The thing is, God doesn’t need me.  In fact, I’m 100% sure He can reach coaches and athletes in Loudoun County more effectively by Himself or with someone else who is way more qualified and trusting of Him.  I’m timid, doubtful, and though I don’t like to admit it, sometimes lazy.  And when I stress out about this role or wonder if I should just find a different, easier, less emotionally draining job, I miss the fact that God invited me into this.  I’m not working FOR God.  I GET to work WITH God in Loudoun County, VA.  Who am I that God would open this opportunity to me? 



A verse that has been particularly meaningful to me this year is Jeremiah 29:7, “But seek the welfare of the city to which I have sent you.  Pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find welfare.”  God is so very capable of handling my questions and doubts.  I have learned that on those days when I’m feeling insecure and questioning EVERYTHING, He is so gracious to point out where He is working in and through me.  What a gift.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

The Idolatry of Safety

Step by Step