Free of Labels


During my first year of teaching, one of my favorite classes was an Algebra 1 class.  This group consisted of mostly sophomores who tended to struggle in math; many had learning challenges or were English Language Learners.  Because it is such a foundational course, if a student doesn’t understand Algebra 1 very well, he or she is going to struggle with every other math class throughout high school.  This class happened to take place during the last block of the day, so kids were already pretty tired by the time they got there.  That, combined with the fact that I had quite a few characters in that class, made for some very entertaining interactions. 
One afternoon, I was passing back a quiz that I had graded the night before – the grades were fairly average, typical for this group that tended to struggle a bit.  As I walked around the room handing back the quizzes, I prepared myself for the onslaught of questions and complaints amid the inevitable, “Whatdyaget? Whatdyaget?” as students compared their scores.  Two of these students were Hanna and Heidy.  Hanna is Filipino and had been in the United States less than one year at the time.  Heidy’s family had emigrated from El Salvador just a few years earlier.  Though neither student was born in this country, each was all too familiar with the stereotypes associated with her culture.  Both girls had received similar grades, a B of some sort.  After observing their grades, Hanna lamented, “I’m a disgrace to Asian people!”  To which Heidy quickly responded, “Shoot, I’m makin’ my people proud!”
Now, I must admit, I laughed, not because I agree with either of these stereotypes but because these two girls had so completely bought into other people’s perceptions about who they should be, right down to the grades they should earn.  As a teacher, of course I tried to dispel these labels and encourage each child to work to his or her own potential.  But as I explained to both girls that they were more than capable of achieving very good grades in the class, I was struck by how much I tend to accept these stereotypes for myself.
How often have I have accepted someone else’s label of me – too big, too quiet, too nerdy -  instead of believing who God says I am?  I wish this issue was just limited to my teenage years  like my young students, but the truth is that I have to continually remind myself that my identity is first and foremost in Christ, not in any other title or label I may possess – the good ones, like daughter, sister, and friend, and the ones I wish weren’t true, like single, doubter, or anxiety-prone.     
Recently a coworker and I were talking about our shared struggle in this area – this tendency to place way too much stock in other people’s approval. 
“So,” he asked, “how do you fight that?”
I thought about it for a moment before I answered, “Well, not to sound too churchy, but by spending time in God’s Word.  If I don’t constantly remind myself who He is and who I am because of my faith in Him, I will look to everyone else to tell me who I should be.”
How would it change the way I live to throw off those labels imposed by myself and others?  How much more joy would I have if I chose to believe what God says about me and live in the freedom of knowing that I am His?  So who does God say I am?  I am His beloved child (1 John 3:1).  I am free (Romans 8:1).  I am redeemed and justified through Christ (Romans 3:24).  Take time today to encourage a sister, a friend, a teen in your life with this truth. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step by Step

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

The Idolatry of Safety