Suit Up!

A couple of years ago my pastor preached a sermon series on The Armor of God in Ephesians 6.  It has been one of my favorite series at church to the point that I’ve re-listened to it at least two or three times.  The truth found in Ephesians 6:10–18 is so powerful and practical, yet I forget sometimes that I need to constantly be on my guard against the devil’s schemes. 
This past weekend, my younger sister, Catherine, and I were supposed to babysit my niece so my older sister, Rachael, and her husband could attend a marriage conference at their church.  On Thursday, Rachael reached out to Catherine and me to give us the head’s up that our niece had a cold and was running a fever.  She was questioning whether she and her husband should even go to the marriage conference anymore since her daughter wasn’t feeling well—understandable, I’m sure, for all of you parents out there.  I’m pretty sure most of the time my younger sister has more wisdom than I do because Catherine immediately responded, “Don’t let the enemy take away your marriage conference because of a little fever.  She’s in good hands with her aunties!”  In my own selfishness I was starting to feel bummed because I had been looking forward to hanging out with my sister and our niece but Catherine recognized this for what it was, a scheme of the devil to take away something Rachael and her husband had been looking forward to for weeks.  Thankfully, they were still able to go and have a good time and my sweet niece got lots of extra cuddles from her aunties!
Yesterday, Loudoun FCA hosted our annual Winter Refresh, an event where student leaders from all over the county come together to encourage one another at a time of year when many huddles start to lose a little momentum.  We had a great time playing games and sharing ideas and really enjoyed our guest speaker, Ryan Meyer.  Ryan is a former marine who shared how much more important his faith became to him when he enlisted in the military after 9/11.  During a Q&A, one student asked Ryan if he had a favorite Bible verse or passage that he clung to during his many deployments and he said that while there were many, the Armor of God in Ephesians 6 is definitely one that stood out.  He urged the students to be reading their Bibles every day and filling themselves with the Holy Spirit because as Christian Leaders at their public schools, the enemy has a big target on their backs.  It was such a blessing to have this true American hero encouraging our students and commending them for the work they’re doing in their schools. 
I am thankful every day that I get to serve with this amazing ministry but yesterday was definitely one of those extra special days where, surrounded by student leaders from almost every high school and several middle schools in the county, it was so easy to see how God has his hand in all of this.  We just need to put on the Armor of God every day and watch how He uses us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

Rule Followers Anonymous