We Have Found the Messiah!

A few weeks ago I started doing a Bible study on the book of Hebrews with several other women at church.  Our memory verse last week was Hebrews 4:12, “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”  This is a verse that I’ve known for some time, but jumps up again every time I read a familiar passage and understand something I’d never noticed before.  This morning, for example, I was spending some time in John 1:35-51.  Now, I’ve never kept track, but I would be willing to bet that John is probably one of the books of the Bible I’ve read most.  Until this morning, though, I’d never really paid much attention to Andrew in this passage.  He was kind of awesome.  As soon as John the Baptist said, “There goes the Messiah,” Andrew was all in. 
The Bible says, “Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, ‘We have found the Messiah’ (that is, the Christ). And he brought him to Jesus.”  We often hear about Peter’s and what a champion he was in the early church.  But I think his brother deserves some of the credit here.  It was Andrew who went to find Peter and told him about Jesus in the first place.  I want the kind of faith had in trusting Jesus at His word and the boldness He had in telling others the Good News right from the start. 
This is perhaps the aspect I am most excited about with my new job with FCA: pouring into the next generation of believers and helping them to develop their leadership potential to share Jesus with others.  So what about you?  Who do you notice in your own life who either isn’t a believer or is young in their faith but has amazing potential for the Kingdom of God?  Go share Jesus with them!  Encourage them!  You never know if they might be a Simon Peter for their own generation!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety