The Lord is my Portion

Lamentations 3:24 says, “I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him’”.  I’m sure I’m not the only one who has trouble with this one, am I right?  I know in my head that God is way smarter than I am and His plan for my life is way better than anything I could come up with.  BUT, do I believe it in my stubborn heart?  The answer to that depends on the day, maybe even the minute you ask me.  Ironically, I’ve been told by people throughout my life that I’m a fairly patient person, particularly when it comes to kids.  You don’t get through eight years of teaching high school math without patience.  Unfortunately, I have trouble having that same patience with God.  I know that He is Jehovah-Jireh, the God who provides.  And yet, as my support raising has hit a bit of a slowdown these past couple of weeks, I find myself getting anxious about His provision and questioning why I’m not fully funded yet.  Lately, I’ve been absolutely loving Lauren Daigle’s album, How Can it Be.  Her song “Trust in You” is so completely my jam right now, as I am learning to trust God’s plan for my personal life and my fundraising efforts to join the FCA staff.  I love the verse in that song that says:
“Truth is, You know what tomorrow brings
There’s not a day ahead You have not seen
So, in all things be my life and breath
I want what You want Lord and nothing less”
My pastor, Jim Supp, recently did a three-week series on prayer in which he urged us to seek God’s face before we seek His hand.  I’ve been trying to apply this concept to my life and I find I’m learning so much more about God’s character through it. 
I’m so thankful that we have a God who is more patient with us than we are with Him.  And thankfully, His Word is living and active and has a way of meeting us with exactly what we need when we need it, like this verse from Lamentations that just hit me between the eyes yesterday.  God is my portion.  He is enough.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety