Throw Pillow Deception

This past Saturday, I spent the first part of the day proctoring the SAT test for 17 local teenagers.  You could practically feel the anxiety in the room as the kids sat for this 5+ hour exam, which many believe makes or breaks their college acceptances and rejections.  The stress these kids face on a daily basis can be overwhelming.  I was near the top of my class in high school and by the time I graduated, I had taken five AP classes over two years.  Now, many of the kids who graduate at the top of their class take at least seven or eight APs by graduation.  They’re also expected to have several extracurricular activities, community service, and notable leadership roles on their resumes.  What makes matters worse is that when kids leave their schools each day, they go out into a world that is constantly bombarding them with confusing and straight up unbiblical messages, all in the name of trends and being a free-spirit. 
Step into any home décor or teen clothing store and you’ll see the same messages over and over adorning decorative pillows, journals, wall plaques, and t-shirts.   One of my favorites it, “Follow your arrow,” because, hi, what does that even mean?  Another goodie is, “Do more of what makes you happy,” which kind of sums up the whole, “self is god” mentality that we have here in America.  What ever happened to, “Do unto others as you would have them do to you?”  And, I must admit that every time I see, “Follow your heart,” on yet another journal cover at Homegoods I want to take out my pen and scribble Jeremiah 17:9 across it, which says, “The heart is deceitful above all things.”   
So what’s my point?  These kids are tired and confused and hungry for something more than these trivial and deceptive messages are telling them.  I’ve noticed in my eight years in the classroom just how many kids are desperate to find fulfillment and identity in everything from their grades, their athletic accomplishments, the way they dress, and approval from their peers.  And guess what?  They’re not finding it there…which is why we have smart, amazing, talented kids on depression and anxiety medication and in some, heartbreaking situations, even committing suicide.  Our kids need Jesus.  We ALL need Jesus.  Plain and simple.  We need His Truth in us to combat the lies we are told every day.
I’m so thankful for the opportunity I have to join the staff of FCA, an organization that is bringing Jesus to kids in public schools.  Once I am fully funded, I will get to spend my days empowering students who are already professing their faith in Jesus Christ to be salt and light in their schools, offering rest for weary souls.  

Comments

  1. You are doing a great job with these blog posts - continuing to pray for your funding goals to be met!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety