Up for the Challenge


“So, what do you do during the summer?” 
This is a question I, understandably, receive often.  Because my job is so closely tied to the schools, people often wonder and ask how I spend my summer, besides running camps.  In some ways, summertime is not much different than the rest of the year – fundraising appointments, meetings with donors, getting together with students (though this part is somewhat easier since their schedules are more flexible).  Another big piece, though, is planning for the upcoming ministry year. 
One of the main strategies of FCA is “to and through the coach”.  Impacting students is wonderful, but if you can impact a coach with the gospel, the ripple effect will likely be even greater.  Yesterday I was spending time working on my ministry plan for the upcoming school year and I thought back to this time last year, when one of my goals for coach’s ministry was to start up a coach’s huddle at one of my schools.  Fast forward a year and I find myself setting that goal once again because it never happened this past year.  Though I met with a handful of coaches throughout the year and even cohosted an event for female coaches with two of my teammates back in February, I was never able to get anything consistent going.  So yesterday, as I thought through some of the main pieces of our ministry and started setting goals for the upcoming year, I started feeling kind of defeated. 
I should have made more of an effort to meet with coaches.
I should have prayed more about opportunities to reach coaches.
The list of “shoulds” went on for a while, until I finally caught myself.   
Many of these things may be true, but God is not out to shame me.  The is one main culprit who loves to sink us into feeling defeated like this, but it is not our loving Heavenly Father.  The truth is, I love pouring into and encouraging students, but I tend to clam up a bit when talking to peers I don’t know very well or people who are older than me.  I’m afraid it will be awkward or I’ll say the wrong thing or I won’t know what to say.  However, the Word says that God has not given me a spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7). 
My mentor and I have been reading through Priscilla Shirer’s book, Discerning the Voice of God, for a few months now and this morning, we met to talk about chapter 8, He Will Challenge You.  The main point of the chapter was that God often calls us to things that are challenging because it will force us to rely on Him.  “Fear will present an option that keeps you protected and safe instead of inviting you into the risky unknowns of God’s will,” Shirer says.  So rather than allow these fears about my inadequacies hinder me, like Paul wrote about in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, I can embrace my weaknesses knowing that when I am weak, He is strong. 
So as we prepare for a new school year starting up in just a few weeks (sorry, teachers and students), I will pray – for opportunities, for wisdom, and for boldness.  Would you join me in doing the same?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety