I just like Him so much!

Growing up in a Christian home, I’ve read some of the stories in the Bible so many times over the years.  It’s certainly helpful and inspiring to read about the lives of these people who were ordinary and flawed and yet still able to accomplish great things for God’s glory by stepping out in faith, but at the same time, there’s a bit of a disconnect sometimes.  These people lived a long time ago, in a world without technology and Netflix and other modern day distractions and temptations.  I’m encouraged by the stories of Esther and David, yes, but I can’t go to coffee with them.  In recent years, I’ve been inspired by some modern day “heroes of the faith.”  Some are people I know personally; others, I’ve simply read about and followed on social media like Jennie Allen and Kelly Minter.  Like me, these people are not perfect and face a myriad of struggles every day, but they are nonetheless surrendering their lives to God to be used for His purposes right now in the 21st century.  This past weekend, I had the privilege of seeing one of my modern day heroes in person when Jennie Allen spoke at my church’s women’s conference. 
In the first session, Jennie spoke about Jesus’s first miracle in John 2, turning water into wine.  I’ve heard this story so many times over the years and quite frankly, glossed over it most of the time.  Sure, it’s impressive, but it’s no healing a blind man or raising Lazarus from the dead.  What I’d never paid attention to, though, were the details of this miracle.  Jesus asked for ceremonial cleansing pots to be filled with water…a picture of the Old Covenant when the Jews had to constantly purify themselves and perform all sorts of sacrifices to make themselves clean.  It was never enough, though, because they had to keep doing it over and over again.  And it was this water in the ceremonial cleansing pots that Jesus turned into the finest of wines, foreshadowing the Last Supper when He would tell His disciples that this wine was to represent the blood He would shed for us all.  I’d never noticed that before!  Jesus’s very first miracle was already a picture of His power to get rid of the Old Covenant and give us freedom in His New Covenant.  What’s more, his first miracle was to save a poor family from embarrassment.  What does that say about his heart for us?!  As Jennie kept saying, “You guys, I just like Him so much!” 
The conference was a much needed time of refreshing for me, but sadly, I also cannot get coffee with Jennie Allen on a regular basis.  One of the breakout sessions I attended was on Living the Invested Life, where they talked about everyone’s need for a Paul (mentor), a Barnabas (a friend, encourager), and a Timothy (someone to pour into) in her life.  I’m so thankful that I do have a godly woman and friend whom I meet with regularly to share coffee and struggles and Jesus and who has encouraged me to say yes to God’s leading these past few years.  And I’m so very blessed to have the opportunity to disciple an amazing group of high school seniors every Thursday night in addition to serving and encouraging coaches and athletes in Loudoun through FCA.  May God continue to use my messy, ordinary life for His glory!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety