Who, What, When, Where, Why?

I’ve had the opportunity to talk to so many already about my transition from teaching to full time ministry with FCA, but wanted to take a moment to detail the “Who, What, When, Where, and Why” of my new women’s ministry role.
WHO will I be serving?
Primarily Loudoun County Public Schools coaches, teams, and students.
WHAT will I be doing?
Although my role with the middle school huddles in my area is still not fully decided, my involvement with the high schools will include partnering with, and ministering to, coaches of girls’ sports teams, connecting them with character coaches, and starting coaches’ and team huddles.  As far as the on-campus huddles (school clubs that usually meet weekly for games, fellowship, and devotional studies), I will be working to train student leaders and equip them with resources to run their school huddles, because for these huddles to be legally allowed on public school campuses they have to be student led.
WHEN will I start?
Hopefully as soon as possible!  The first day of school for students this year is Monday, August 29.  Teachers in Loudoun went back to work this past Wednesday on August 17 and fall sports officially started up at the beginning of August.  As much as I want to dive right in with the fall sports teams, I understand that for the strength of the ministry and to be able to do my new job with excellence once I start, I need to reach being fully funded first.  I am still in the process of setting up meetings with people to discuss the ways in which they can partner with me and support me in this ministry, so if you’re reading this and know of anyone who might be interested, please pass their name along!
WHERE will I be serving?
I will specifically be working with the coaches and students in the high schools in the eastern and southern parts of Loudoun County, including Broad Run, Briar Woods, Rock Ridge, Freedom, John Champe, Potomac Falls, Dominion, and Park View.  My women’s ministry partner, Noelle, will be working with the schools in the western part of Loudoun. 
WHY did I decide to make this switch?
The short answer is obedience.  I felt the Lord calling me to take a step out in faith to serve Him and Loudoun County students and although it’s definitely taking me out of my comfort zone, I couldn’t be more at peace about the decision.  One of the reasons I am so passionate about the work FCA is doing in Loudoun County is that it didn’t exist when I was a student attending LCPS.  I grew up in church and had good friends in the youth group at my church, many of whom even attended my same middle and high school, but we were rarely in any of the same classes and I often felt like my church and school friends were completely separate groups.  I tried on a few occasions inviting some of my school friends to youth group events, but I think the idea of going to a church event is intimidating for someone who’s never been.  It’s a lot easier for a student to invite his or her friends to an FCA huddle because it’s being held at their school.  Plus, free food is always a draw for teenagers!


One of my favorite parts of being a teacher these past eight years has been the relationships I’ve been able to build with students outside of the classroom, whether through coaching soccer or sponsoring the FCA huddle at Potomac Falls.  I know it’s shocking, but not all kids love math.  Crazy, right?  So for me to get to know kids in these other avenues has allowed me to have some amazing conversations with them about what they believe, what they’re struggling with, and some of the goals they have for their lives.  I’m so excited that I’ll be able to continue to do that and impact not just students’ lives, but their eternity, in this new women’s ministry role with FCA. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety