Thankfulness and Being a Teammate


Recently I have been reading my way through Joe Ehrmann’s book InSideOut Coaching.  It’s a book we often recommend and gift to coaches as we pursue our goal to minister “to and through the coach” and it challenges coaches to answer such questions as, “Why do I coach?” and, “What does it feel like to be coached by me?”.   Ashamedly, though I’ve been on staff for two years now and have given out several copies of the book, I hadn’t actually read it for myself until recently.  I can now see why this book would be so impactful for coaches of all levels – from rec league to high school and beyond. 
Chapter 6 of the book is titled, “Community: A Team Without Walls,” and includes a list of statements that differentiate, “Being on the Team vs. Being a Teammate.”  A few of the statements on this list include:
·         Being on the team benefits your personal goals and ambitions.  Being a teammate benefits the goals and ambitions of your team and your teammates.
·         Being on the team means doing what is asked of you.  Being a teammate involves the efforts of every player.
·         Sometimes players on the team are drawn together by common interests; teammates are drawn together by a common mission.
These and other statements made me think not only of the athletes with which I get to interact on a regular basis but also of those who help to make Loudoun FCA possible.  This ministry would not exist without our amazing huddle coaches (teacher sponsors), character coaches, and huddle volunteers.  There just aren’t enough of us on staff to cover 33 schools (and counting) on our own. 
In addition to these key volunteers, though, if you are reading this as a prayer and/or financial partner, I hope you consider yourself a teammate as well, because I definitely do!  Those of you who have chosen to give of your time and resources are impacting coaches and athletes in Loudoun County Public Schools as well as several club teams in Loudoun.  As Paul wrote to the church at Philippi, “I thank my God every time I remember you.  In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.”  Your generosity has given me a chance to be a part of this team in a way I never would have imagined just a few years ago, and I am so very grateful.
To those who are already partners with me in the work of Loudoun FCA, thank you for your encouragement and for the sacrifices you make in order to be a teammate!  As the county continues to grow and more schools continue to open, particularly in the southern part of the county, our financial needs have grown as well in order to supply training and resources to coaches and athletes at every middle and high school and we are so thankful to those of you who have faithfully given and even increased your giving over the years.
If you happen to be reading this and are not already a partner but are interested in finding out more information about the work we do, you can visit www.loudounfca.org or email me (ccasares@fca.org).  I’d love to meet for coffee and share more stories of impact from the field!  Here are some practical ways you can join us in our mission to reach every coach and every athlete in Loudoun with the hope of the gospel:
·         Pray!  This is not a small thing.  We covet your prayers for wisdom and strength as we continue this work that God has placed on our hearts.
·         Year End Giving: Our staff has spent some time dreaming about new projects and goals for 2019.  #GivingTuesday is November 27 this year and we would love for you to prayerfully consider Loudoun FCA for your year end giving!


·         Become a Teammate: As a local missionary, each of us on staff is required to raise our own support.  You can join in fulfilling the mission of FCA by becoming a monthly partner here. 
·         Shop!  This year, for the first time, we are holding an online FlashStore with hoodies, performance tees, and cotton t-shirts.  Show your Team FCA pride in style this holiday season!  All sales support Loudoun FCA.  The store is open now and goes through November 30th!
As we celebrate Thanksgiving this week, we pray that you and your families have a blessed holiday and time with family and friends! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety