Be a Flame Thrower


I’m back!  I was on such a role for a while, posting at least once a week.  But last week I traveled to our National Support Center in Kansas City for Camp School and while the training and fellowship were awesome, I didn’t have much time to write.  Hence, the long gap since my last post.  Anyway, after the busyness of Camp School, I headed straight into an event that has become one of my favorite weekends of the year for the past several years – IF: Gathering.  This is a women’s conference that has been held in Austin, TX for the past five years but is simulcast all over the world.  In my case, to about 30 of us in my friend’s living room and basement in Ashburn!
IF was founded by author and speaker Jennie Allen and exists to empower women to disciple each other and the next generation.  The IF: Gathering and IF: Local events are just one piece of this ministry that puts on other events and builds resources to encourage women in discipleship.  The theme verse this year was 2 Timothy 1:6-7, “For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.  For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”  The powerful speaker list included Christine Caine, Bianca Olthoff, and one of my favorites, Annie F. Downs, all talking about the importance of discipleship and urging us to not over-complicate it but to think of who in our lives we can walk alongside and encourage to love Jesus.  Jennie opened the event by talking about Elon Musk’s flame thrower and asked us to consider what it would look like if we all went back committed to being flame throwers in our places…quite the image!  At the end of the conference, every woman was given a matchbook and asked to write on one side one or two names who she will commit to discipling over the next year. 
I firmly believe in the importance of discipleship because I know the impact it has made in my own life.  I have loved having the opportunity over the past several years to mentor a handful of girls I’ve met through church, coaching, and even teaching.  In the role I have now with FCA, it’s so easy to be overwhelmed by the number of girls who I know need mentors – 15 schools times 3-8 leaders at each school.  There aren’t enough hours in a day to get together with all of them on a regular basis.  But I can meet with two or three.  As I prayed about who God would have me mentor in 2018, He faithfully brought two names to mind, leaders at two of my middle school huddles who I am excited to be more intentional about pouring into this year. 
On the other side we were asked to write what step(s) we need to take to persevere in this call to make disciples.  Because it’s hard.  And takes time and energy – physical and emotional.  And the enemy does not want us to make disciples of Jesus Christ, so if you’re committed to doing just that, you better get ready for battle!  Once again, God was so clear on what I need to do to persevere right now – pursue community. 
Over the past three years, my once close-knit group of friends has gone through a massive transition as people have moved away and/or gotten married.  Such is life in a transient area when you’re in your twenties and thirties.  As an introvert, making close, deep friendships is not exactly a strong suit for me and so, I’d grown a bit lazy in this area.  Sure, I have acquaintances and friends I get together with every once in a while, but I’ve been lacking those deep, encouraging, call-me-out-on-my-junk relationships for some time now.  And God made it super apparent that I will not be able to sustain this kind of work for His kingdom on my own.  So now, the work begins.  I need to be willing to make the effort to reach out to people and be vulnerable if I expect that in return.  I know it won’t happen overnight but I also know that God is faithful in answering prayers that result in His glory. 
It reminds me of Moses, Aaron, and Hur in Exodus 17.  The Israelites were fighting the Amalekites and as long as Moses had his hands raised to God, Israel prevailed.  But when he lowered his hands, Amalek started winning.  So as Moses grew tired from raising his hands, Aaron and Hur a came on either side of him and held his hands steady until Israel was able to defeat Amalek.  I want to make an impact for God’s kingdom, which means I’m going to face opposition.  But if I’ve surrounded myself with people who will hold up my arms when I get tired, I know God can work though me.  And in return, I’ll be able to do the same for them.  Hebrews 10:24-25 says, “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting meeting together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”  So if you’re like me, in a season where you’re lacking the kind of deep community that will hold your arms up in battle, let’s commit to doing the necessary work to do this and be flame throwers for our generation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety