Wrapping up 2017

As I type this, 2017 is coming to a close.  For some, this has been a joy-filled year with weddings, babies, and other exciting endeavors.  Others, I am sure, can’t wait to close the door on a year that was challenging for some reason or another.  Maybe, like me, you feel a bit like you’re in a season of waiting and ushering in a new year is a little bittersweet – exciting to think about the possibilities that might come but also frustrating in some ways that a new year is starting with little change to circumstances you’ve been hoping would have changed by now. 
Each school year our FCA staff does something called “One Word.”  Many do this by calendar year rather than school year but, regardless, the idea is that you pick a word, often with a verse behind it, that you want to embody for that year.  When our staff gathered for our back to school retreat back in August, I shared that my One Word for this school year was INVESTED, based off of Matthew 6:19-21: Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  At the time, I had in mind investing in people.  I’m far from perfect in this, but I have thankfully done a better job balancing my schedule this year so that I can meet with some of the girls in my ministry one-on-one, investing in them and encouraging them in their relationship with the Lord. 
Recently, though, I feel like the Lord has put it on my heart that maybe some of this investment can and should be in myself too.  For as long as I can remember, I have loved to write.  From silly stories and journal prompts in elementary school to history essays in college, I have always enjoyed putting words on paper.  It was never more than a desire to journal or share an occasional blog, though, until a few years into my teaching career.  I was sharing some crazy classroom story with my parents one afternoon and one of them said something about writing a book of these stories.  I remember kind of dismissing it at the time, but the more I thought about it, the more exciting it started to sound.  As often happens, though, busyness and other excuses set in and my desire to stay safely inside my comfort zone overshadowed my desire to put any writing out there. 
Fast forward several years and I started this blog as a way to 1) Keep donors updated on events in the ministry and 2) Satisfy a bit of my desire to write.  I have loved sharing these stories and lessons the Lord is teaching me but in the past year or so, this desire to write has not gone away.  In fact, I feel like the Lord has made this desire even stronger lately.  All of this is a long-winded way of getting back to my one word: INVESTED.  As I look to 2018 and how I want to honor the Lord this year, I feel that obedience for me looks like finally setting aside some time to organize thoughts on paper into some semblance of a book.  So, I have invested in an online writing course.  I have no idea how to really go about doing this or even if anyone besides my close friends and family would want to read my thoughts, but I know that God has put this desire in my heart for a reason and I’ve spent far too much time clinging to comfort rather than trusting that He will be with me always.  Earlier today I was praying about having the courage to take risks for God in 2018, especially with this whole book thing.  I have often questioned if I really have anything worthwhile to say in the realm of Christian authors that hasn’t already been said.   I have no connections in the publishing world, nor do I have any formal Bible training.  There is really no logical reason that this should work.  But then God brought to mind Isaiah 43:19, “Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?  I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.” 
By my abilities alone, getting a book published along the lines of Annie F. Downs or Jennie Allen, some of my favorite Christian authors, would be pretty much impossible.  Thankfully, I do not have to operate in my own strength, though.  I have walked with God for long enough now to know that when He puts a desire in my heart, I can fight it as long as I want, but He always wins.  I still have no idea what I’m doing but cheers to 2018 and doing new things anyway! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety