Fear or Faith?

As we kick off this new school year and start to plan for huddles and other upcoming events, like Loudoun’s first ever Fields of Faith, I’ve started to notice a recurring theme.  I’ve had several conversations with volunteers and student leaders that go something like this:
Me: “Hey ____________, would you be interested in speaking/sharing your testimony at  such and such event/huddle?”
Student/Volunteer: (Eyes wide, nervous laughter) “Uh...”
Believe me, I’m not trying to call out any one person here, as this has happened several times now, but let’s call this hesitation what it is: FEAR!  I get it.  I’m not a huge fan of speaking in front of large groups, either.  And I admit that I’ve certainly held myself back from a number of different opportunities in my life because of fear.  But since when does fear get to control us in this way?  As believers in Christ, do we really trust what God says in Isaiah 41:10: “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”  
God has given each of us unique gifts and stories so that we will use these qualities to point others to Him.  2 Timothy 1:7 says, “For God has not given you a spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and self-discipline.”  When we give in to fear, we rob others from hearing about the amazing things God is doing in our lives and we miss out on the blessings that come from being obedient to God and sharing Christ with others.  Again, I’m saying this just as much to myself as to anyone else, but I think that with everything going on in our country today, people need to hear about hope!  As Christians, we have a hope that is firm, secure, and eternal.  I love the Big Daddy Weave song, My Story, because it perfectly explains what we share with others when we tell them our stories.  Let’s use the spirit of power and love that the Holy Spirit gives us to boldly proclaim the good news and the victory of Christ in our lives!  Choose faith over fear!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

The Idolatry of Safety

Step by Step