Hot Chocolate for Jesus

I’ve officially been on staff with Loudoun FCA for 13 days.  Besides the administrative parts of the job like phone calls, emails and familiarizing myself with our database, so far, I’ve met with several volunteers and been able to attend three high school huddles.  One of these huddles just happened to be at my Alma mater, Broad Run High School in Ashburn.  I loved seeing some of my former teachers passing through the hallways and telling them about my new job while getting to know the student leaders for Broad Run’s FCA.  I think a fear we have with huddles sometimes, and youth groups for that matter, is that they can become “clique-y” and not always welcoming to new students coming to check things out for the first time.  I was so pleasantly surprised, though, that the leadership had decided to make last Wednesday an outreach event.  They stood in the lobby of the school with two big urns of hot chocolate to welcome fellow students coming in off of the buses and from the parking lot, while telling them about their upcoming Christmas party that will be happening this week.  I loved that these students were making it a point to get FCA’s name out to the rest of the student body in such a positive way and, more importantly, that they were serving their fellow classmates in Jesus’ name right in their public school’s lobby!  I can’t wait to see what else this group comes up with this year!
Making hot chocolate before classmates start arriving

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety