(Almost) Ready, Set, Abide!

A few weekends ago, I had the privilege of attending the Cultivate Conference at Reston Bible Church.  The main speaker of the event was Kelly Minter, daughter of RBC’s pastor Mike Minter, who is a gifted teacher, author, and speaker in her own right.  The theme verse of the conference was John 15:16 which says, “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit –fruit that will last – and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.”  Even though I’ve heard and read about John 15 countless times, Kelly brought new life to this passage.  Perhaps the reason it resonated so much more this time is that I’m embarking on this new journey with FCA and I know that now, more than in my previous career, any fruit I bear is going to be directly from the Lord.  Kelly made an important distinction between achieving goals and bearing fruit.  Achieving goals is based on our own dreams, striving, and effort.  In contrast, bearing fruit is all about God’s plan and abiding in Him.  My success in this ministry is absolutely dependent on remaining in Christ, relying on Him daily for provision, wisdom, and strength. 
I know without a doubt that working with Loudoun FCA is a calling that God placed on my heart.  I’ve experienced such a joy and intimacy with Him ever since agreeing to be obey this call and I’m so thankful for Kelly’s nuggets of wisdom to continue abiding in Him.  I began the support raising process for this new role back in April when I attended Fundraising Boot Camp at FCA’s National Support Center in Kansas City.  I started out quite slowly, as I was finishing up my last school year at Potomac Falls, but picked up the pace once summer hit.  God has been so good to me over the past eight months, reaffirming my calling and passion for this ministry while sending new partners my way exactly when I needed some encouragement.  In her book, Restless, Jennie Allen says, “God doesn’t change the world through grand visions; he changes the world through surrendered people hungry for his glory.”  As I get ready to join the Loudoun staff full time in just a few weeks* I am more excited than ever to see how God will use this ministry for his glory in Loudoun County and so humbled that He has called me along for the adventure!

*The goal that was set for me for my first year was to raise 75% of my total budget up front in monthly support.  I am just a few hundred dollars away in monthly support from reaching this goal, but have been given enough in single gifts to help make up the difference for now.  I will still need to continue support raising over the next year or so until, ideally, my entire budget is funded in monthly giving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's it like to work with Loudoun students?

Step by Step

The Idolatry of Safety